Sunday, March 11, 2012

Weekly Concept

Social expectations is a concept that really made me think about how I express and hold in particular emotions of how I feel.  For me, I was raised to be a strong and non-emotional person.  My father always told me to be compassionate, but to also not show weakness at the same time.  I didn't really know how to go about this until I realized how both my parents, but mainly my father raised me and my brother.  He was a very loving and caring person when it came to our family.  Yet when my brother or I did something wrong and had to be punished he would have to be that stern adult figure that couldn't show weakness from withholding our punishment.  I used to hate how we would be so stern on us, but now I understand why he did it.  He was preparing us for the real world, and that knowing what consequences became of wrongful actions.  He wanted us to learn what it took to be a "man" in the adult world when we became independent from the family.  It's a lesson that I have followed and kept to heart since I understood what he was teaching us.

No comments:

Post a Comment